Who Gets the Child Tax Breaks After a Divorce

For tax purposes, a child is usually treated as “belonging” to the parent who has custody for the greater part of the year. That parent is called the custodial parent. The other parent is called the noncustodial parent. The general rule says that only the custodial parent can claim the dependent-exemption deduction for the child.